Pages

Friday 24 May 2013

A rainy day REMEDY in Edmonton.

I woke up this morning and to my delight it was rainy in good old Edmonton! There is something about the sound of rain falling and the fresh smell that sends shivers down my spine and puts a smile on my face!

I didn't have to work until 430 today (technically my day off... I am an excellent employee), so I figured that I would venture through the chilly weather and warm my soul with some of my favourite food!

Remedy is a cafe in Edmonton with two locations, the original location is just south of the river on 109st and the new location is centrally (and conveniently) located on Jasper ave and 103 st. Since the downtown spot opened I have found myself frequenting that one more often since it is so much closer to my home! The atmosphere is very different from the south location as it caters to the downtown business crowd but I still feel incredibly at home as soon as I walk through the door. There is always massive art work on the wall, which frequently changes and the colours of the walls pop and compliment the rows of tapestries that line the window sills. The smell of homemade chai and various curries fill the cafe and you are immediately ready for some tasty homemade food.

The menu boasts a number of wraps, samosas, chai (iced and hot), coffee, tea, as well as a couple Western options for those less brave! There is a handful of cakes and other pastries available each day! Most of the food served has a vegan option, including the beverages as they have four milk choices for individuals to choose from! On the weekends they have a special of Masala Dhosa which is vegan and gluten free, unfortunately I have not tried it yet but with all the good things I hear about it I am anxious to go back and give it a try!

Today I opted for the Sabji wrap which is hands down one of my favourite wraps in the world, as well as a Chai tea (don't tell Starbucks)! I requested that the Sabji wrap has hummus added instead of the standard mayonnaise and this in itself makes the wrap totally vegan and the chai was made with almond milk. I ordered my meal and turned around to find a good friend of mine sitting at the table behind me studying, I figured I would join her for a few minutes while I waited for my lunch to be made. My almond chai came out first and the barista who made my beverage was incredibly pleasant and we shared a few pleasantries and even found some common ground with our love for scarves! My wrap came out less than 10 minutes afterwards, which was a pleasant surprise.


The chai as always was hot, and sweet with the perfect amount of spice. I do find that the almond milk adds a little bit extra sweetness which I find to be quite pleasant. I have to admit that I am never disappointed with the chai tea that is served as the syrup is handmade by the owner on a regular basis.

The wrap was just as lovely as always. At only $8 you get more than enough! The wraps are huge and usually big enough for more than one meal and they are packed with fresh ingredients like spinach, chick peas, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. The curry is perfectly spiced and not to overwhelming as you are able to taste the different layers and the freshness of the vegetables. My all time favourite part of the meals you get at Remedy is the mystery brown sauce. To this day I do not know what it contains, but is perfectly sweet and pairs insanely well with the spicy nature of the wrap and it brings together all of the flavours beautifully!

All in all, my visits to Remedy are amazing! There is a friendly warmth to the cafe and there is always a familiar face waiting to have a pleasant conversation! The staff is knowledgeable about the products served and they are always eager to hear your feedback about your favourite foods. Never have I left feeling disappointed and hungry!

On such a gloomy rainy day, Remedy was exactly what the doctor ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment