Pages

Tuesday 9 April 2013

Today, I am sad for baby seals.

As some of you may already know, today marks the beginning of Canada's baby seal slaughter and it is utterly breaking my heart. I decided that since my emotions regarding the subject are so strong I should tell the world, if only to shed some light to the horrific things that are still occurring in our homeland.

The Canadian Government subsidizes the slaughter of upwards of 400,000 baby seals each year, which is more than what trained scientists have suggested in order to sustain the marine animals. To some, this previous statement may seem ridiculous, that's because it is! There is no need to subsidize the murder of any animal, and here is why:

For the past number of years there has been a number of countries who have banned the sale of any seal products, which translates into no profit for Canadians. We are truly just giving our tax dollars to the government so they are able to inhumanely kill animals most of which are still sitting in storage since even Canadian markets have taken a second look at the detriment caused by the seal slaughter. Not only is it a huge waste of money, Canadians are stealing from the Native people's livelihood (as much as I am against the killing of animals as a whole). Since the seal slaughter is killing such a high volume of animals each year the sustainability of these wild creatures is in jeopardy and could lead to the eventual extinction of seals.

Although there is a lot to be discussed in regards to societies downfalls when it comes to a dying market I would like to focus on the humane nature of the seal slaughter.

We have all (I'm sure) seen the photographs of skinless massacred seals spread across the crimson stained ice caps in Eastern Canada, but that is simply the end result of an endless spree battering. These baby seals which are all under 3 months of age had been bludgeoned with a heavy wooden bat with a spike on the end. Don't you worry though, they claim everything is done humanely since it is still illegal to kills baby pups under 11 days old... (are you kidding me!?) There is absolutely nothing humane about the way these pups are murdered. The stakes are used to jab the seals in the skull, eye, nostril or mouth multiple times they are then dragged across the ice before and skinned, sometimes these pups are still alive when it comes time to ripped the skin from their muscles. The adult seals are not left from harm either, they are forced to watch as their babies are inhumanely killed. There is nothing they are able to do to keep these men (and women) from stealing their pups from them.

I could continue on with this, but I feel like I should leave it for now. I am very clouded by emotions right now, so I should apologize for the grammatical errors that may occur throughout this blog. However, I hope that I managed to get a point across or at least shed a little bit of light on the situation that is currently happening. I would love to chat with anyone about it, and see what their opinions are on the whole situation.

Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment