Pages

Monday 26 March 2012

March 26, 2012

As I sit in the lovely Block 1912 eating a grilled cheese sandwhich and drinking a cup of coffee (don't worry, still decaf) my mind wanders to a conversation that I happened to overhear today while I was in line at the bank. Although it was not directed at myself I was somewhat offended by the conversation that went on, and so I decided that I needed to interject. Even if it was just to get my opinion out in the open with no one to hear on the opposite end.

It occured as follows:

Two business women walked into the bank carrying a boquet of flowers and approached the front desk where a gentleman was sitting at the computer. Pleasantries are exchanged and the ladies continued on to explain that these flowers were left in their office for someone by the name of Janice K--- (to be honest I don't even remember the last name). It just so happened that the elder of the two women shared the same last name as Janice, but her first name was not a match. Somehow they found out that the woman meant to recieve flowers worked for TD and in hopes of helping them reach their destination they brought them down to the bank in the mall. There were other words exchanged that I missed, but as the women walked away someone suggested the man behind the desk email Janice. I thought it was a good idea... apparently not. After the ladies had left this man went on a small tirade exclaiming that he is not a delivery service either, why would they even expect him to deal with a matter such as this. Now, clearly this was not enough to make him feel better because he continues on to rant about women in general. This rant included, how ALL (apparently) women dissolve their resposibilities in order to make their life easier, they can't deal with problems themselves, and ALL (again, apparently) women throw everything on him and expect him to do it. This was frustrating to say the least. While I cannot disagree that there are women out there who do in fact have the characteristics he is describing I have an issue with him lumping all women together. This is unfair and a stereotype. I polietely asked him if he felt his statement was necessary, or would it have been easier to simply send Janice K--- an email explaining to her the situation at hand. I'm sure that she would be quite happy to come downstairs and pick up her flowers. Or, here is a thought... the chances are that the flowers were meant to be a surprise, soo... keep it a surprise. Talk a walk (lets face it, you don't even have to walk far) grab and elevator and bring them to her. It would give you a rest from all the laborous work you're NOT currently doing, and you could brighten someones day instead of harvesting this sour attitude which is not doing anyone any good.

Now, I am not sure he took my adivce or shared some choice words about myself after I left. Regardless I felt like it needed to be said.

As an aside, he works in a customer service industry. He needs to be careful of what he says while on the floor, you really don't ever know who is listening. I can atest to this from experience.

Women have come a long way in the business world, they have proven themselves to be just as and in some cases more successfull than men in certain fields. By treating women with the disrespect this man chose to, he is forcing women to have to continue to prove themselves immesnly in an area and man could achieve greatness in easily. Women are capable and powerful, treat us as such.

1 comment:

  1. Wow good for you for standing up for women! I can't believe how sexist some people still are! What time period is he stuck in? And apparently he couldn't deal with responsibility either :0

    ReplyDelete