Pages

Friday 13 January 2012

Homemade Baklava.

Although I didn't really see myself as someone who believed in the idea of resolutions I have infact seemed to have made a large amount of them this year. And yes I do intend on keeing them all.

So, two more resolutions I made were to be more creative with my cooking (mainly trying new recipes, or recipes at all for that matter.) Since I have no classes on Tuesday I figured it would be an excellent adventure day. I am determined to try something new each and every Tuesday that I am able!

Last Tuesday I attempted Baklava (legit one of my most favored things in all the world).

My initial conception that the task would be hard was proved wrong pretty quickly. The whole idea of Baklava is simple. It's phyllo pastry, nuts, cinnamon, butter, honey and sugar water (with a little bit of vanilla.)

Step one: Melt a block of butter (one block of butter was enough for 2 9x13 pans)
Step two: Butter the pans, and by butter I mean BUTTER. Slather it on, and when you think it might be enough add little more.
Step three: Add 2 sheets of pastry then butter again. Continue this step until you have about 8 sheets down.
Step four: Then you continue the previous step, but add in your nut mixture. Continue until you run out of nuts.
Step five: Top layer should be done the same as the bottom layer (but only about 6 sheets of pastry).
Step six: Stick pastry in the oven for about 50 mins at 350 degrees. Pull it out when it is a golden brown color.
Step seven: Do this while the pastry is cooking. Boil water, sugar and vanilla add the honey, then simmer for 20 mins until the mixture thickens.
Step eight: Pull the Baklava out of the oven and immdiately spoon the sugar water over top and let sit in fridge over night.

The end result is delicious, and I am very proud to say that I managed not to mess it up.

I also apologize for the lack of pictures throughout the blog thus far. I am still figuring out how the whole blog idea works.







No comments:

Post a Comment